Easy Steps On How To Prepare Efo Riro Soup (African Stewed Spinach). I know lots of you want to learn how to cook Efo Riro Soup, in this article you’ll learn how to make Efo Riro Soup also known as African Stewed Spinach soup commonly eaten by the Yoruba’s
What Is Efo Riro Soup (African Stewed Spinach)
Efo Riro needs no introduction as it is one of Nigeria’s most popular vegetable soup and an absolute favorite from Yoruba. This is a fairly easy dish to prepare, as long as you follow the main instructions and requirements.
A traditional fermented spice called aero (grasshopper beans) is usually added to this soup which adds a great depth of flavor to the soup. However, some people try to avoid this super healthy spice due to its scent. If you are not a fan of Iru, you can miss it.
Also, Crayfish is almost a must-have for the traditional Yoruba Efo riro style, however, if you don’t have access to it, I suggest you use smoked fish or smoked turkey to give the soup the desired umami flavor without adding seasoning. Box.
Efo Riro soup is a bit like the famous edikaikong soup, the difference is the use of tatasch, spinach and some other local yoruba ingredients, although some people choose to use tomatoes for personal reasons but I think Tatasch does a perfect job.
If you can’t find the ingredients for cooking Edikang Ikong soup where you live, Efo Riro is Yoruba’s version of Edikang Ikong Efik / Ibibio.
Ingredients To Prepare Efo Riro Soup
- Various meats and fish. Use a combination of the following:
- Shaki (beef tripe)
- Smoked fish
- Dried fish.
- Other condiments
- Fish stock
- 20 cl of palm oil
- 500 grams of Evo Choco
- 5 peppers
- 2 tablespoons of lobster
- 2 red onions
- 2 small cubes
- 2 tablespoons of grasshopper (Aero) seeds
- Salt and Habanero / Scotch Bonnet Pepper (to taste)
What Is The Main Vegetable Used To Prepare Efo Riro
Here are two vegetables that can be used to cook Efo Riro. The first is Efo Shoko, and the second is Efo Tete (green spinach). Both are available in the Nigerian market.
Other Meats You Can Use To Cook Efo Riro Soup
The more variety of meat and fish you can add to Efo Riro, the better it is to add: snails and their other offal, bonmo (cowhide), etc.
Easy Steps On How To Prepare Efo Riro Soup (African Stewed Spinach)
In this section i will things you need to do before you cook the Efo Riro Soup and the full cooking instructions for Efo Riro Soup.
Do This Before You Cook Efo Riro
- If you are using solid broth, soak it for a few hours. Soak dry fish until it’s tender and clean.
- Chop the leafy greens, remove the seeds of the chai and mash them until rough.
- Prepare the other ingredients: mashed pepper / chopped onion and mash lobster.
Cooking Instructions To Prepare Efo Riro Soup (African Stewed Spinach)
- Start cooking the shaki first with as little water as possible (see video below) as it is the hardest meat in the bunch. This soup should contain as little water as possible, so add a little water at a time and add it as you cook.
- When the shaki starts to roll, add the dried fish and fish broth.
- When the complainer is almost done, add beef, broth cubes, and a portion of onions, and cook until all the meat and fish are tender. Put this aside.
- In another skillet, pour the palm oil and heat it. When hot, add the remaining onions.
- Fry the pepper, until the water empties out. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Grasshoppers add nuts and lobster and mix well.
- Add the cooked meat and fish and mix well.
- Add vegetables, mix well, cover and when heated again add enough salt and remove the pan from the heat.
What You Can Eat Efo Riro Soup With
You can Serve Efo Riro with semolina, Amala, Pounded Yam, Eba, or any other fufu food. Also goes well with white boiled rice.
Faqs About Efo Riro Soup
What is Efo in English?
Efo Tete (African Spinach): English Name: African Spinach, Callaloo Local Name: Efo Tete (Yoruba) Plant: Amaranthus hybridus, Family Amaranthaceae. This vegetable is a perennial herb. As expected, it is abundant during the rainy season. By History, it is came from Asia into West Africa .
What is called Efo (spinach) in Yoruba?
In Yoruba, spinach is called Efo tete. Efo stands for vegetables and these vegetables have many health benefits.
Is Waterleaf the same like Efo (spinach)?
Waterleaf is called Gbure in Yoruba, Ebe-dondon in Edo, and in English it is called Filipino Spinach, Sweetheart, Flame Flower, Florida Spinach etc. The leaves are very good for diarrhea, hepatomegaly, and hepatitis.
What is called Efo (spinach) at Hausa?
It is called alayyahu (spinach) in Hausa.
Is it Ugwu Efo (Spinach)?
Spinach is a green leafy vegetable that is not native to Nigeria and thus does not have the name Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa from Nigeria. … if someone is making soups, stews or sauces, use Ugu as it is stiffer and more suitable for soups and sauces than green spinach.
What’s spinach in Igbo?
Efo (spinach) means akwụkwọ nri in Igbo.
What are the benefits of eating Efo (spinach)?
Spinach is rich source of vitamins A, vitamins C, vitamins K, magnesium, iron and manganese. Eating these green leafy vegetables can benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress, and reduce blood pressure levels, among other health functions. Like it or not, spinach is definitely one of the vegetables that you must include in your daily diet.